Healthcare resources for you, for your patients or clients. Sections include information on resources related to breastfeeding, immunizations, nutrition, dental health, mental health, STIs and reproductive health.
Patients are being directed to their healthcare providers to receive immunizations, and providers should bill the patient’s health insurance. Patients who do not have insurance or whose insurance will not cover the shots can get immunizations at the following facilities:
Where your patients can get immunizations if they don’t have insurance:
- Parish Health Units (PHU)
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC)
- Greater New Orleans Immunization Network Patients in the New Orleans area can get free vaccinations on a mobile immunization unit.
Additional immunization resources for your patients:
- Shots for Tots has information on immunizations, including why parents should immunize their child, when certain immunizations should be given, and help getting immunizations.
- The Center for Community and Preventive Health Immunizations Program offers information about where to get a vaccine, eligibility requirements, and general information about vaccines.
WIC (Women, Infants, & Children) Your patients – both pregnant women and children – can receive nutrition assistance through WIC.
- Eligibility Information to help your patients determine whether or not they are eligible for aid from WIC.
- WIC Clinics: Find the nearest WIC clinic.
Information on the WIC Program
Help your patients find a dental provider
For patients with:
- Private Insurance: Their insurance company can provide information about dentists in their coverage plan.
- LaCHIP (Age 0-19) – NOTE: LaCHIP Affordable Plan DOES NOT include routine dental services.
- Medicaid (Age 0-21): Some dental services may need prior authorization.
Other resources to help find a dental provider:
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC’s)
- LSU School of Dentistry New Orleans Clinic (not
- LSU School of Dentistry Satellite Dental Clinics
- American Dental Association database of ADA dental providers: search by address or zip code
Resources for Your Patients
- LABreastfeedingSupport.org is a database of breastfeeding resources by zip code and can help moms locate professional breastfeeding support, and community breastfeeding support/education groups.
- Breastmilk Counts helps moms decide whether breastfeeding is right for them and offers general information about breastfeeding.
- Best for Babes has information, facts, answers and support to help moms achieve their breastfeeding goals.
- Baby Gooroo provides the breastfeeding basics, benefits, common problems, and answers to questions moms often ask.
- La Leche League helps mothers breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education.
- Black Breastfeeding 360° is a comprehensive multi-media library of resources, perspectives and voices about the black breastfeeding experience.
Louisiana Breastfeeding Resources
- Louisiana Breastfeeding Coalition offers breastfeeding resources, news, and information.
- The Gift is a breastfeeding certification program for Louisiana birthing facilities.
- Download this infographic on strategies the Bureau of Family Health is using to increase breastfeeding rates and reduce breastfeeding disparities in Louisiana.
Louisiana Mental Health Resources
- Mental health services provided by the Louisiana Office of Behavioral Health
- Regional directory of Community Mental Health Clinics in Louisiana
- List of Specialized Inpatient Facilities in Louisiana
- List of Acute Units in Louisiana
- People who are eligible for Medicaid can access behavioral health services through their Healthy Louisiana (formerly Bayou Health) plans. Patients seeking behavioral health services through their Healthy Louisiana plans can find a provider here.
- Individuals or families who need Coordinated System of Care (CSoC) waivers and services can get them through Magellan Health.
- Postpartum Support International: Resources to support and treat pregnant and postpartum patients.
- Dial 911 for immediate medical emergencies, or 211 for non-emergencies.
- Compulsive Gambling: 1-877-770-7867
- Alcohol / Drug Helpline: 1-877-664-2248
- Louisiana Spirit Crisis Counselor: 1-866-310-7977
Louisiana’s STD/HIV program: Information and resources for patients and providers.
HIV & STD Testing resources: Look up testing resources by zip code.
STI & HIV Reporting: HIV, Perinatal HIV exposure, and some STIs are reportable conditions. Information on how to report can be found here.
The Reproductive Health Program can assist patients by offering disease screening, health education, counselor, and contraceptive methods.
REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH CLINIC DIRECTORY AND SERVICES
Clinics that are part of the Louisiana Office of Public Health – Reproductive Health Program offer the following services:
- Physical exam, including Pap test and clinical breast exam
- Family planning counseling and education
- Provision of medications and/or supplies as needed
- Testing for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and HIV/AIDS
- Pregnancy testing
- Sterilization counseling, education and referral
- Tubal ligation and vasectomy
- Preconception counseling (“Planning Your Pregnancy”)
- Reproductive health education and information
- Consultations and referrals for infertility
- Community outreach, tracking and maintenance of high risk patients
- Education and information targeting adolescents
Find out information for healthcare and social service professionals here.
Information about Flu Shots and Pregnant Women (PDF).View the Guide ›
Our support staff is standing by 24/7 to answer questions and to link you to resources in your area.
All Calls Confidential.