Family Resources for Disaster Recovery
Severe weather emergencies can be scary. Following a flood, tornado, or hurricane, Louisiana communities may need help getting back on their feet.
Bouncing back after disasters is especially hard for pregnant people and caregivers of young kids. Below, you’ll find a list of resources to keep families safe and stable following severe weather events. For updated local info, call the 24-hour helpline: 1-800-251-BABY.
Note: As communities recover, the resources listed here may change. Call 1-800-251-2229 for the most recent updates in your area. If you discover a resource has changed, moved, or closed – let us know!
- Louisiana 211 (also known as VIA LINK) connects residents with local resources following natural disasters. Dial 2-1-1 or text your zip code to 898-211.
- Statewide Offices of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness offer hurricane recovery resources by parish. Contact your local office to learn more.
- FEMA may help certain qualifying residents pay for the costs of recovery. Apply for FEMA assistance online or by calling 1-800-621-3362. Tip: Families can avoid scams and verify official information using FEMA Rumor Control.
- The Agenda for Children has a special list of recovery resources for families with young children. Find the latest info here.
Food & Water
- The Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) helps eligible families pay for groceries following a natural disaster. You can pre-register for DSNAP so you’re ready to receive benefits, if DSNAP becomes available in your area. To learn more, visit the Dept. of Children & Family Services website or call 1-888-524-3578.
- Note: If you already receive SNAP benefits, then you may not be eligible for DSNAP. Instead, you may qualify to receive replacement SNAP benefits. Click here to learn more.
- Second Harvest Food Bank distributes food to families affected by natural disasters in the Greater New Orleans area. Dial 2-1-1 to find what items are available near you.
- Local Louisiana WIC services may be disrupted following a major storm. For the latest info on clinic closures and service adjustments, visit the Louisiana WIC Disaster Response Information page.
- Unsure if a natural disaster has affected your Healthy Louisiana coverage? Find answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) from Louisiana Medicaid.
- SAMHSA’s 24/7 Disaster Distress Helpline offers emotional support for caregivers following natural disasters. Video chat is also available for American Sign Language users. Call 1-800-985-5990.
- The Keep Calm Line also offers 24/7 mental health support: dial 1-866-310-7977 or text REACHOUT to 741-741.
- Birthmark Doula Collective offers a 24/7 Parent-Infant Hotline for Louisiana families affected by natural disasters. Call 1-504-535-4223. Services are available in English and Spanish.
Shelter & Home Repair
- Crisis Cleanup coordinates disaster relief resources for families. Check their website for event-specific hotlines.
- DCFS Connect helps locate family members who have evacuated to state shelters, including those relocated from assisted living facilities.
- If you are unable to work due to a natural disaster, then you may qualify for unemployment assistance. To learn more, visit the Louisiana Workforce Commission website to check eligibility and submit a claim.
- Southeast Louisiana Legal Services can offer legal guidance following a natural disaster. Call the Disaster Legal Aid Hotline at 1-844-244-7871.
- Ascension Parish residents: Register to receive Community Alerts by text or daily email. Sign up through the Ascension Parish website or by calling the Citizen Service Center at 1-225-450-1200.
- Orleans Parish residents: NOLA Ready has the latest information on food distribution, charging stations, cooling centers, and more. Text NOLAREADY to 77295 for regular updates.
- Terrebonne Parish residents: Follow the Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government Facebook Page for updates on hot meals, free fuel, FEMA application sites, and more.
This page was last reviewed on September 16, 2021.
Our support staff is standing by 24/7 to answer questions and to link you to resources in your area.
All Calls Confidential.