WIC (Women, Infants, & Children) is a special supplemental food program. WIC provides:
- Nutritious foods, nutrition information, breastfeeding promotion, breastfeeding support and referrals to other health and social services.
- Foods may include: infant formula and cereal, adult cereals low in sugar and high in iron, milk (and lactose-reduced or lactose-free milk), cheese, juice, eggs, peanut butter or dried beans/peas, carrots, and canned tuna.
Who is eligible:
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women (up to infant’s 1st birthday)
- Postpartum women
- Children ages 1-5
- Live in Louisiana
- Currently receive Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, LA CHIP, LA MOMS or meet income guidelines
- Have a nutrition/health need
How to tell if you are eligible:
If you do not have health insurance, Medicaid/Bayou Health provides coverage for healthcare services.
- To learn more about Bayou Health, click here.
- Or call (888) 342-6207 for more information.
LaMOMS is no-cost health coverage for pregnant women. It covers all pre-natal and delivery costs. LaMOMS pays for pregnancy-related services, including doctor visits, lab work, prescription medicines, delivery, and hospital care for up to 60 days following the end of your pregnancy.
LaCHIP (Louisiana Children’s Health Insurance Program) provides healthcare to uninsured children up to age 19. It is a no-cost program that pays for children’s hospital care, doctor visits, prescription drugs, shots and more.
- To learn more about LaCHIP, click here.
- To learn what LaCHIP covers, click here.
- To apply for LaCHIP, click here.
LaCHIP Affordable Plan is a health insurance program for uninsured children in moderate income families. If your income is too much to qualify for regular LaCHIP, but your gross income is below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level, your children may qualify.
Take Charge Plus offers Medicaid coverage for family planning services to males and females of child-bearing age. There are certain income requirements. Take Charge Plus covers family planning services including physical exams, birth control, STD testing and treatment, and family planning-related lab tests and medications.
Magellan provides coverage for mental health services.
- If you have Medicaid, you can also get behavioral health services, such as mental health or substance abuse treatment. Magellan manages this type of care.
- To learn more, click here or call (800) 424-4399.
LaHIPP (Louisiana Health Insurance Premium Payment) is a part of Medicaid that may pay some or all of the health insurance premiums for you and your family. If you have insurance through your job and someone in your family receives health coverage through Medicaid, you may be eligible.
- To learn more about LaHIPP, click here or call (888) 695-2447.
- To apply for LaHIPP, download and print this form and mail or fax it to: 721 Government St, Suite 103 - 300 Baton Rouge, LA 70802 Fax: 1 (877) 419-1384
GNOcommunity.org is a service to help individuals in the New Orleans area find a quality healthcare center that meets their needs. Most participating clinics accept private and public health insurance, or payments can be made on an income-based sliding fee scale.
Our support staff is standing by 24/7 to answer questions and to link you to resources in your area.